Thursday, March 06, 2008

Phill-Literacy!

So that amazing group of poets from the Bay were here in Philly for a night, yes I'm talking about Ill- Literacy. And because I am lazy and a loser, I didn't listen to my voicemail nor did I call Adriel back (I know I'm awful) when he first phoned me so when he made one last attempt to reconnect before hopping on the Chinatown bus to NYC, Ruby, Nico and Dahlak had already gone their separate ways. I didnt want to leave Adriel all alone and bored in the city so I told him to meet me at my office and informally made it "Bring Your Friends to Work Day" or as we call it in the artist world "Bring Your Fellow Artist to Your Real Day Job Day". Fortunately, I work for two.one.five magazine and my boss knows I'm a bossy bitch, so I decided to rent a car via Phillycarshare and took Adriel to Denise's Jamaican Food Lunch truck, right outside the 30th Street Mail station.

Since I was lucky enough to have a car today, I drove all the way up to West, West Philly to see about getting some doubles from the Brown Sugar Bakery, a Trinidadian Restaurant. If you don't know what doubles are, they are sandwiches made from curried chickpeas and two fried flatbreads. They're street food, and usually sold with wax paper twisted on the bottom to keep the filling from falling out. At Brown Sugar, they only have doubles from Wednesdays to Saturday, and cost $1.50. I was so excited I couldn't stop talking about them driving through traffic while Adriel held a hot bag of Jamaican food sitting on his lap trying to tell me the story of how people are confusing them a group from America's Best Dance crew, because they happen to be a group of mixed ethnicities and genders as well. Of course when I got there... they were ALL SOLD OUT. I couldn't believe it, the lunch rush hour wasn't even over yet. And it wasn't only Thursday. I left instead with 3 vegetarian patties and headed back to the office. During this whole time I realized that Adriel had been taking pictures of me while reiterating to me the importance of continually updating your blog. Albeit it was a camera phone but he was thinking. I unfortunately was not. This is the only picture I could get of him.

And yes, it was also on a camera phone.



- until next time,
Catzie

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,