Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Remembering Grandma


Grandma Hermione Moore 12/4/1914 - 7/21/2006


Sometimes when you’re in a relationship, you meet the other persons friends and family and you instantly click and get along really well. So well that even after your romantic relationship has ended, you keep in touch and stay friends. Such was the case of Hermione Moore, grandmother of my on-and-off-again boyfriend Chad. Even when we fought and I swore off talking to him, I couldn’t imagine not calling the house anymore to chat with Grandma. She was always the person to answer the phone because she loved talking. When telemarketers would call she’d give ‘em a run for their money when they’d ask how she was doing because she would do just that – “Well, lets see. I lost my son and I can’t walk. Plus I been getting these coughs… What was that? I can’t really hear too well so you might have to speak up”. Got’em everytime.

Grandma loved crossword puzzles but would not give into the internet and its answers. She chose instead to ask the people around her, because she knew that even if they didn’t have the answers they’d have a story to tell her, and that was an even enough exchange. Grandma also loved acrostics. If you listen to the 2nd CD she’s the one who does an acrostic with my name. I knew when I was asking people to say a little something about me, she would come up with something creative. Now that it’s my turn to write something creative I am at a lost for words, the right words, because she was so giving, generous, warm, social and active, so much more than an octogenarian confined to her wheelchair. Because that was the thing, she wasn’t confined to anything. She was never bored, never needy. She took joy in all the things she could do – knitting, reading, watching TV, solving puzzles. Even when she had to prick her fingers to check her blood sugar, Chad said she had a favorite finger. But I wouldn’t say she was content with the things she did, it wasn’t like she settled. It was more like she was saving her energy until we came around so she could give us extra love. I’m happy and blessed to have been one of them. I only hope I can live a life as rich as hers. I love you Grandma.

Catzie