Sunday, March 23, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?

Okay so Michelle and I have been closely watching America's Best Dance Crew since it aired. I myself dont even watch tv all that much but ABCD peaks my interests so much I have to watch the clips on youtube whenever I miss it. My initial reasoning was a curiosity to see if they Asian dance crew that was featured in the commercials (Kaba Modern) from the live auditions would actually make it. Of course in the process I learned of the Jabbawockeez, whom I've become a fan of, and who also made it along with Kaba Modern. Maybe I'm a little biased to wanna root for the Asian teams, but a part of me wants to see either of the teams win to prove to the rest of America what our rythms looks like. I've often heard the stereotype surrounding Asians lack of dance and for some reason there is always one goofy guy that gets made an example, or even worse the group of Asian girls who dance like strippers but huddle in a little circle. I know there are Asian Americans who can dance better than that, I just dont know why they don't come out and dance when I'm around.

And so for that reason I've been rooting for both Jabbawockeez and Kaba Modern, because they defy the stereotype that Asian are rythmically-challenged.



This clip above is all of the crews dancing from the last episode, Thursday night. Jabbawockeez and KM made the bottom, and Status Quo was in the top. Hmmmmmm, whats wrong with this picture people? Seriously SQ shouldn't have even been in the top. But this is a competition based on incoming votes, so I guess not enough people phoned in for the more talented crews and SQ was magically saved. On Youtube comments alot fo the posters have been making it a racial thing but it's really not. Status Quo is pretty weak and doing a bunch of flips is not what I call dancing. I wonder if for the final judgment they are going to actually tally in votes or let the judges decide since that is how they determine winners from the crews in the bottom two.

Until then may the best team, yes that would be Jabbawockeez, win.

P.S. Did we tell you we;re going t be in Boston (where Status Quo is from) in a couple weeks? Should be interesting.

xoxo
Catzie