Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Outdates

I'm calling this one "outdates" since it's not really an update because its actually things that have happened already and you probably know about them by now. Nonetheless I shall recap what's been goin on in the last month because it's my blog and I can do what I want.

So part of the lack of updates on my part is because my laptop was broken yet again. This time I was watching a movie in the dark on my laptop and had managed to close the screen without realizing that the magnetic power cord had relocated itself onto the keyboard. (Note: If your laptop doesn't close all the way don't slam it again.) I didn't take a picture of it, but it was really horrific the first times I looked at it. It kinda looked like this:
And while I was searching the cracked screen images I came across this one:
Apparently it's a practical joke to download this and put it on your friend's screensaver when they're not looking. But what if the person had a really bad temper, and they figured since the laptop was broken anyway they were just gonna beat somebody over the head with it? Come on folks, I'm the only one who thought of this...

Moving on, April 13-15th was Lao New Year. I celebrated at the Wat Lao in North Philly with my mom of course, but I was also writing a little story for two.one.five magazine about the Miss Lao New Year Pageant, or as they say back home, the Nangsoukhane Pageant. I'm probably gonna get in trouble for sharing these pictures before the article's been published but I couldnt' help it, they were soooooooo beautiful. Taken by the amazingly talented Ben Leuner.

To see the rest of the pictures and read the final article, well, you'll just have to wait until it comes out in July. I also have to mention that I have been featured in another magazine...
I didn't even know I was gonna be on the cover. I just got an email saying "we'd like to interview you, and by the way do you have pictures"? Since I didn't have any updated photos, I asked my friend and accomplished photographer Kelly Turso to shoot me and we sent them in. I didn't hear from them for a couple weeks so I figured they were behind schedule with publishing, understandable for a small self-published magazine company. But then one day, Michelle's checking our Myspace and she's sees that the new cover of Lao Roots has been changed and it's me! Thanks to Paul, Lucky and the entire staff at LR, you guys are great. Since my last name's not included on the cover, non-Laotian people keep asking if I'm like Madonna. Sigh... I wish. Nah, I have to chuckle to that one. So I waited a month to give a copy to my mom and I purposely gave it to her on her way out from visiting my house, because I didn't want to explain this picture:
She hasn't said anything to me yet, but I'm hoping the getting-featured-on-the-cover-of-a-Lao-magazine part will lessen the blow of her deciding to dis-own me upon seeing my tattoo for the first time. And plus it's an elephant!

Lastly, I received a special package in the mail from my good old friend Taiyo.
Unlike other artists, he sends his with love. Literally.
Well you've probably guessed already what it is, since it's featured on my Boston Progress Radio Shuffled Playlist. But here's what his newest CD Love Is Growth looks like in the flesh. Doesn't he looks so cute?
And on the back, more face time! I think he did this just for the ladies, hehe...
He's been busy on tour promoting his CD and his latest show will be this Saturday, May 10th at the 29th Annual Asian Pacific American Heritage Festival in New York City. The concert which goes on from 12noon to 6pm will also feature Soh Daiko, Hsunami, Misnomer(s) & More and will be hosted by Ti-Hua Chang, Elliot Chang, and Hot 97 DJ Miss Info. The event will be held at The United Nations, Dag Hammarskjold Plaza, East 47th Street and 2nd Avenue and if you need more info go to www.capaonline.org. If any of you are in the New York area, go support our APIA artists!

Well that's it folks, hope this outdate was worth your read. Until next time.

xoxo
Catzie