Thursday, May 16, 2013

Feature in Philadelphia Daily News

Hi everyone,

On March 22, I kicked off the book tour for my solo poetry book The SHE Book at the Asian Arts Initiative (more about this later).  On March 10, a feature story written by Jenice Armstrong was published about me in the Philadelphia Daily News.  The week before, Jenice interviwed me several times by phone and then once in-person at AAI.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect at first.  I've been disappointed by media articles in the past about Yellow Rage--either I felt it focused too much on the anger or it misrepresented our message or took attention away from the cause we were trying to support.  This time, I was even more concerned b/c this was about my poetry book--something I feel very strongly about in both its content and purpose.

I expressed some of my concerns to Jenice.  She tried to be very reassuring, but admittedly, I still wasn't sure.  When I met her in person, she was strikingly tall--very regal.  As we started to talk, I began to feel more comfortable: she was very personable and funny, and she listened very intently to my responses to her questions.  I really enjoyed our conversation, and when she left, I could only hope for the best.

When the article came out, it was a bit overwheleming to see how big of a spread it was in the actual paper--I hadn't expected that at all.  And then the content of the article was so positive.  I was grateful and humbled beyond words to Jenice for writing such a wonderful piece on me and my work.

Below is a link to the article. I hope you enjoy it.

Brave: Michelle Myers and Yellow Rage Confront Race Head-On

Many thanks again to Jenice Armstrong and to Alejandro Alvarez, the staff photographer who did such a wonderful photo shoot of me at AAI.

Love,
Michelle