Thursday, October 05, 2006

Who???

My friend Nikki recently introduced me to this thing "Celebrity Face Recognition" on this site MyHeritage.com. Its and tells you what celebrities you look like, or... er, what celebrities look like you. Nikki, who is white (I dont know what her ethnic background is, but to me looks like some kind of Greek-Italian goddess) surprisingly was told she looked like Alicia Keys most (78%) when she pouted her lips and she crimped her hair she looked like Sammi Cheng (90%, what!!!). The funny thing is when she's pouty lipped she's also "multi-racially Asian" because Mariah Carey, Gong Li, Namie Amuro and Celina Jaitley (she's Indian) were also in there, but when she's crimped (and 90% Asian) she only has one other bit of color via Beyonce while everyone else is well, white.

After many years of being told I look like people I dont ever believed I resembled, like Sandra Bullock, Kimora Lee Simmons, Amerie, and Kelis to name few I was really curious to see if my own sense of self-perception was distorted from what other people saw. I was really hoping I could prove these people wrong. So I posted up two pictures of myself (I would've used Michelle's but... you know how that goes) one without bangs and one with. Taking cue from Nikki, I purposely put different pictures to see who I looked like and if it would be as dramatically different as hers. Take a look for yourself -


Apparently I look alot like Lacey Chabert, the actress who used to play the young girl on Party of Five. I only have two Asian women, Aya Matsuura and Sammi Cheng I resemble. Nobody has ever told me I look like Charlize Theron, or even Ashley Olsen. What the hell?


And for some reason, I am more Asian with my bangs. I also look like a man. Yeah, that is very comforting. Sure I got a little Hally Berry in me, but look at all these Asians, I don't know any of them. Except for Keanu Reeves. Okay so MyHeritage.com is very racially equal and open to Asian people and includes them as opposed to our our close-minded American perception of who's important and popular. But I didnt want to be told I look like Asian men, no not really.

This is what I get for putting my hand in Pandora's Box, a electro-techno virtual box that like is unconfirmed in research by nothing. This is like the time when me and my ex-boyfriend Low (who is Laotian like me) took pictures of ourselves to see what our kid might look like and he came out looking like some nerd. He didnt' even look Laotian, everyone I showed it to said he looked Korean, whatever that means. Not saying that Koreans look nerdy, not saying that at all - aw I dont know what Im saying. Im just saying this thing was dumb fun and nothing reliable or predictory. If you have a couple minutes because that sucker also makes you register, try it out and see what race of celebrities you look like most.

Im gonna pluck my eyeborws some more and attempt to change my appearance, and learn how to take better pictures. Which reminds me, I have to find more updated pictures for the site, ahem.

Catzie