Friday, March 11, 2011

Michelle's Book Release Party at Family Style, Fri, March 18, 7:30pm

Support independent publishing: Buy this book on Lulu. 
Hi everyone,

Please come celebrate the release of my solo poetry book: THE SHE BOOK, VOLUME 1.  It will take place during this month's Family Style at the Asian Arts Initiative--here are the event details:

Family Style Open Mic Series
Asian Arts Initiative
1219 Vine St, Philly
Doors open at 7pm
Show starts at 7:30pm
$5-$10 Sliding Scale Admission

I will be performing poems from the book.  There will be guest artists.  I'm selling the book for $20, and all of the profits from the book will be evenly divided between 2 different causes/orgs: 1) Odanadi, an anti-trafficking organization, http://odanadi-us.org/ and 2) a project called Write the World which I have started with my friend Kao Kue.  We are currently raising money to visit Haiti this summer and facilitate art wksps with children in an orphanage in Port-au-Prince.  We eventually want to start a pen pal program between the children in Haiti and children in Cambodia.   



The book can be purchased at Family Style next week and can also be purchased at Lulu--click on tab above or on the "Projects" page.

I feel grateful and blessed about this book for many reasons--not just b/c it's my first "real" solo poetry book or b/c I've created new poems which exemplify my growth as an artist over the past several years.  I feel blessed b/c I'm in a position to use my art to do some good in the world--to do it in a way where I feel like I'm actively contributing to a process of transformation, community-building, and hope.

I don't want to inundate you with a long post.  If you would like more information about the project, you can read about it on this Yellow Rage website by clicking the "Projects" tab at the top of the home page.  Also, feel free to email me and ask me any questions you may have about the book and the causes/orgs I am supporting: michelle@yellowrage.com

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Love,
Michelle

PS--I will have the official announcement from AAI up soon.