Sunday, October 15, 2006

Our very last show at AAI's original space...

I thought this blog called for a poem...

Before I wrote blogs to keep you updated on me
Before I had “stalkers” write blogs to keep me updated on them
Before I realized how much I liked writing
Before you even knew that side of me
Before being cast as the love interest in neo-soul videos,
Before I was available on DVD
Before I was available on On-Demand
Before I was on reruns
Before I watched the episode with my mom
Before I saw myself on a commercial
Before I taped for HBO DEF Poetry
Before I opened for Dave Chappelle
Before I was told by Mos Def to the audience that I was dope,
Before being molested by Mos Def backstage,
Before the eyes of my boyfriend, no less
Before my first standing ovation
Before I knew I even had mic skills
Before all that…

I had the Asian Arts Initiative.


The Asian Arts Initiative, or what I affectionately call "The Inish" is where Michelle and I met and performed our very first poem "Im a Woman Not A Flava" together. We perform for the very last time in that space this Friday. Come through.

The Other Side
Asian Arts Initiative
1315 Cherry St, 2nd Fl
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Friday, Oct. 20th, 8:00-10:00

(as part of the Gilbert Building Celebration)
Admission: $5 for Asian Arts Initiative members, $10 for general admission


The Other Side***: Like the dark side of the moon, there's another side to Asian American culture that is never seen, but is there, nonetheless. Join us for our last ever show at the very place we got our start at the Asian Arts Initiave with a dope ass line up of fellow spoken word poets Taiyo, and Rodney Camarce; singer/songwriters Gary San Angel and Florence Yoo; spoken word poets/playwrights Regie Cabico and Omar Telan; hip hop/breakdancer Jeff Cylkowski; sketch writer/comedian Dan Kim; and filmmaker/writer Anula Shetty. Oh yeah, Mr. DJ Phillee Blunt will be killin it on the turntables.

*** Part of the the Gilbert Building Celebration which will be held from 5-to-10 p.m. on Friday, October 20 at 1315 Cherry St. to commemorate the arts organizations and individual artists that have transformed the Gilbert Building into a thriving arts center and an anchor within Philadelphia’s arts and culture scene. The evening’s activities will feature open artist studios and gallery exhibitions, food, music in addition to the cabaret performance by ensemble Asians Misbehavin stated above,’ as part of the Center City District and Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance/Phillyfunguide.com. You heard that? We're part of the Philly Fun Guide!

This building-wide celebration highlights the work of Asian Arts Initiative, The Fabric Workshop and Museum, Highwire Gallery, the Institute for Arts in Education, Vox Populi, and more than two dozen individual artists before the tenants are relocated as a result of the pending Convention Center expansion.

A brief presentation will acknowledge the organizations and individuals who have contributed to the Gilbert Building throughout its history; as well as a preview of the vision for the shared arts facility being developed by the Asian Arts Initiative, artists and organizations as a future home.

Hope to see you all there. Peace.

Catzie