Sunday, August 23, 2009

The 5th L performs at the U.S. Open, 9/1


Hey yall,

So I want to tell you about these 2 guys I met back in April when they came to Philly to perform at a Slam my students were organizing. The 5th L, comprised of Native Son and The Dri Fish, are a Baltimore-based spoken word duo, and I have been getting to know them and their work--both artistic and activist--over the past few months. And I'm really impressed and have become a big supporter. I hope yall will check them out and do the same.

They have done some great work in the community around Baltimore, especially working with youth in correctional facilities and anti-violence programs. They have also appeared on BET's Lyric Cafe.

Some exciting news is that they will be performing at the tennis U.S. Open in New York on September 1. I'm not sure if the event will be televised, but best wishes to them for a great gig and an energetic crowd.

If you want to find out more about The 5th L, check out their website and MySpace page. I've also linked them on our website to the right.

http://www.5thl.com/

http://www.myspace.com/the5thL

Many blessings,
Michelle